Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bucket List

This is an e-mail I just received from a friend with whom I went to high school entitled "Bucket List":

I summited Mount Whitney on Saturday in the middle of an 18 hour and 22 mile ordeal. 6 out of 8 of us made the summit. Left trailhead at 8300' under full moon and headlamps at 4 AM and returned at 10:30 PM under similar conditions. At 14,495', Whitney is the tallest peak in lower 48 states. 40 mph wind gusts and temperature in 30's. Most difficult physical and mental challenge I have ever encountered. Hadn't climbed a tall mountain since I was 21. Not in the mood or any condition right now to climb any others....

Wow! That is pretty impressive!

I am not sure of the derivation of the term "bucket list". The first time I heard it used was in the movie, "The Bucket List" with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. It is one of the great phrases in the American lexicon. I assume that it comes from the term "kick the bucket".

My golf bucket list includes the following:

1. Play St. Andrews.
2. Play Augusta National.
3. Shoot par (or my age, whichever comes first).
4. Make a hole-in-one.
5. Attend the Masters.
6. Attend a Ryder Cup.
7. Win the purple jacket.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pardon my ignorance, but what, pray tell, is the "purple jacket"?

JAY KRAMER said...

This is foreshadowing. You will have to continue to read the blog at least for another week or two to find out about the purple jacket.