Monday, June 28, 2010

Practice, Practice, Practice!

Since I could not play golf this weekend, Chad Feldheimer sent me out to the practice area with some drills to practice. For chipping he had me place a golf towel on the green and try to hit the towel with my chip shot. I placed the golf towel about 15 - 20 yards from my chipping area. I was very successful chili-dipping the ball and rolling it over the towel, but I do not think that what was Chad had in mind. Actually, I made good, consistent contact with the ball but I was chipping the ball about 20 to 25 yards in the air. I probably hit 100 balls and hit the golf towel on a fly 3 times! I just missed right, left or long (rarely short). I tried the pitching wedge, sand wedge and lob wedge, but nothing worked. I think I needed a beach towel!

I was much more successful with the flat stick. Chad told me to use my chalk line and find a flat putt and work on my putting stroke. I had taken the chalk line out of my bag for some reason a while ago and could not find it so I just hit putts. I used about 8 balls (there was no one else out on the practice green because it was so darn hot). Generally, when I am having trouble with my putter there are two problems. One, I do not get the ball to the hole and, two, I push the ball right (just minor problems!). I have tried to close the putter face and use an inside-to-inside stroke and a straight-back and straight-through stroke. Neither works. After tinkering with my putting stroke this weekend, I found that if I have the putter a little open and my feet a little open I can see the line better and swing along that line. I was also making better contact on the longer putts and getting the ball to or past the hole (or actually in the hole). I am ready for a putting contest for our paychecks with Chad!

No comments: