Thursday, July 1, 2010

Live and Learn

My elbow is improving. It has been 8 days since the surgery and the incision looks like it is healing very well. I go back to the doctor in one week to have the stitches removed. I do not have any limitations on use of the arm or elbow. It is not in a sling or cast. The only admonition that the nurse gave me was not to get the incision wet because of possible infection. After the debacle on the first day I have been doing a good job of keeping the bandages dry.

On the first day after the surgery, I wrapped the bandages in saran wrap (per instructions from the nurse) and showered. When I got out of the shower the cotton bandages and the ace bandage were both soaked! On the second day I wrapped my forearm with a plastic garbage bag and large rubber bands at each end. This worked reasonably well, but not great. My mother told me that there are plastic protectors made specifically to go over a leg or arm cast. I found them at Walgreen's but the arm cast protector did not go up to the elbow so I bought the plastic protector for a leg cast. SO found an armband holder for an iPod with velcro and I was set. With one hand, I put the cotton wrap and ace bandage around my arm and then put the plastic leg cast protector over my hand and arm and tighten the velcro armband and a rubber band around my bicep. This keeps the cotton wrap and incision water-free!

I am getting antsy about playing some golf and seeing how the elbow feels. However, it is 116 degrees outside and 72 degrees in the office today. The person that said "the worst day on the golf course is better than the best day in the office" must not have lived in Phoenix in the summer. The temperature is supposed to drop to a balmy 107 degrees this weekend so I may have to get out on the links. By the way, my new USGA handicap index is 12.6!

No comments: