Monday, June 21, 2010

Photo Shoot at Encanterra - Where Were the Models?

This was a busy weekend of golf. I played in a group event on Friday at Encanterra, a Trilogy Country Club in Queen Creek, Vistal in South Phoenix on Saturday and Camelback Golf Club in Scottsdale on Sunday, and I watched parts of the U.S. Open and had Sunday father's day dinner with SO's mother and step-father. It was busy!

I was invited to play in a golf outing on Friday by one of my favorite followers, Carrie Martz. Carrie is on the board of Phoenix Suns Charities with me and her firm, Martz Agency, is one of Fennemore Craig's marketing companies. As best as I can tell, this golfing event was arranged to introduce Arizona Foothills Magazine to Encanterra Golf Club. Arizona Foothills Magazine does some great pictorial spreads of hot events around the Valley like pool parties at the W Hotel or the Vegas Sex and the City Fashion Show. We did not see any Foothills models at the golf course. The only thing hot about this event was the temperature!

Shea Homes, the developer of Encanterra, just built a 60,000 square foot clubhouse, dining facility and recreation center at the project. It is spectacular! I played with the owner of an insurance company and 2 Arizona Foothills Magazine photographers. We played from the tips. The course has only been open for about 2 years and the trees have not yet matured, but the course is long. Encanterra is 7,176 yards from the tips with a course rating of 73.9 and a slope rating of 130. Somewhere between the practice range and the first tee I lost my golf swing so I had to improvise. I hit the ball reasonably well and scrambled to an 89, but I had almost no opportunities where I was on the green in regulation with a reasonable chance to make birdie. The temperature was above 105 degrees and there was no one on the course except our 5 foursomes, but the starter bunched us all together beginning on 3 holes so it was excruciatingly slow. It took us over 4 1/2 hours to play when it should have taken 3 1/2 hours. After the golf, the club provided drinks and light hors d'oeuvres and we watched Phil Mickelson blister Pebble Beach for a 66, the low round of the day and tied for the low round of the tournament.

No comments: