Wednesday, September 23, 2009

East Lake Golf Club

I can't wait for the Tour Championship to start tomorrow at East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta. Hopefully, the course is not underwater with all of the rain in the southeast. I was lucky enough to play a round at East Lake about 5 years ago with my law school buddies. It was one of the few times that I have walked a golf course with a caddie. I don't know if it was because of the caddie reading the greens or telling me where to hit the ball or because I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of the caddie, but I shot a legitimate 88!

East Lake was Bobby Jones' home course and it is the oldest golf course in Atlanta. The golf course is located in what used to be one of the worst neighborhoods in Atlanta. In the early 1990s, the golf club's founding sponsor members, including Coca Cola and King and Spalding, decided to engage renowned golf architect Rees Jones to restore the original Donald Ross golf course layout.

Due in large part to the restoration of the East Lake Golf Club, there has been a resurgence in the surrounding community and this area has become a fashionable area to live, work and shop in Atlanta. The golf club has supported the neighborhood with a junior caddy and other junior golf programs as well as contributions by its sponsor members of more than $18 million to the East Lake Foundation.

No comments: