Monday, February 1, 2010

I am a 14.3!

This morning as soon as I got to the office I went to the Arizona Golf Association website and there it was, a 14.3 USGA Handicap Index! It was beautiful. I only need to drop 4.4 points/strokes to get into the single digits. Some golfers try unsuccessfully their entire lives to reduce their handicap index by 4.4 points/strokes, but I want to do it in the next six months.

When I proudly told Slim Whiskey my handicap index, he pointed out that golfers that play for money like a higher index because it works to their advantage for gambling purposes and golfers that want a lower handicap index are generally lying about their scores and will not play for money. He was ready to go out and play tomorrow and fleece me at my handicap index! Chad Feldheimer was also licking his chops.

In order to reduce my Handicap Index to single digits I need to consistently score 85+/- on the courses I have been playing like Southern Dunes, Phoenix Country Club, Chaparral Pines and Arizona Country Club. I have to limit the double bogeys and eliminate the triple bogeys. I have to really work on my short game. I probably average 36 putts per round, which does not include the Texas wedges from the fringe area. All I need to do is reduce my putts per round to 31. Given the number of holes where I miss the green and take 3 shots (one chip and two putts) to get the golf ball in the hole, it is very realistic for me to shave 5 putts per round from my score by chipping better and making a couple of 10 foot putts. Oh, I almost forgot, I also need to get the ball out of the greenside bunkers and onto the putting surface in one shot.

No comments: