Friday, January 15, 2010

Desert Nomad Golf Club - No Way!

I am now serious about finding a licensed golf club so that I can get a USGA Handicap Index. A "golf club" is defined by the United States Golf Association as an organization of at least ten individual members that operates under bylaws with committees (including a Handicap Committee) to supervise golf activities, provide peer review, and maintain the integrity of the USGA Handicap System. A golf club is one of three (3) types:

1. It is located at a single specific golf course with a valid USGA Course Rating and USGA Slope Rating where a majority of the club's events are played and the club's scoring records reside (e.g., Phoenix Country Club); or

2. Its members are affiliated or known to one another via a business, fraternal, ethnic or social organization. The majority of the club members had an affiliation prior to organizing the club (e.g., Rotary Club); or

3. The members had no prior affiliation and a majority of the recruiting and sign-up of the membership is done by solicitation to the general public (e.g., Internet, newspaper).

There is also an option to form your own golf club if a licensed golf club is not readily available to you. The club can be formed from business associates or just golfing friends, provided that they live in a close geographic area and play golf regularly together.

Yesterday, I went to the Arizona Golf Association website to join a licensed golf club. I completed all of the required information and checked the box that I was interested in joining a club in Phoenix. My choices were the AGA Bogey Club, the Desert Nomads Golf Club or the Ping Golf Association. Can you imagine how embarrassing it would be if you are a lottery winner for play at St. Andrews and your home club name on the ballot sheet is listed as the "Desert Nomad Golf Club"! I went back and checked the Scottsdale box, which is more upscale. Sanctuary Golf Course at Westworld was one of the Scottsdale club choices. I have never played this course because the write-ups say that it has tight fairways, which is not conducive to my game, but the course is beautiful and it is an Audubon Signature golf course. Of course, when I tried to sign up, the Arizona Golf Association website gave me an error-message!

I tried to sign up again today to join a golf club and the Arizona Golf Association website worked like a charm. After completing my application information and paying $40, I immediately received an e-mail telling me that my application for membership at the Sanctuary Golf Club was submitted to the club. Upon approval, the club will activate my membership and provide me with my member number and additional club information. Once that occurs I will be able to post scores and maintain a USGA Handicap Index. I am so excited! I hope that the club does not blackball me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jay, I just read your blog and I think you should have picked the Desert Nomads for your handicap.

You could have told them you were a member of the BGA (Bedouin Golf Association).

See link

http://davidwallphoto.com/images/%7B911505C3-0A4A-4A36-A67E-430AA70A364C%7D.jpg

Digger