Sunday, December 6, 2009

Conquering Encanterra!

Sunday was overcast, drizzly and cold! It was not Arizona chamber of commerce weather! I had made arrangements to play at Encanterra, a Trilogy Country Club, in Queen Creek, Arizona. As I left my house at 7:15 in the morning in the cold and dark I was thinking to myself "what am I doing?" When I got off of the freeway and it started to rain I had visions of "World Of XXVI - Biloxi, Mississippi"! When I got to the club, the rain had stopped, but the temperatures were hovering in the lows 40s. We teed off at 9 a.m. and it was cold and drizzly, but I soon forgot about the weather because I was striping the ball!

We played the burgundy tees, which are 6,734 yards with a course rating of 71.9 and a slope rating of 125. Because the fairways were a little wet, we did not get a lot of role on our drives and the rough was so thick that it was hard to even find your ball and even harder to dig it out of the rough. I started off par, par, bogey, par through 4 holes. I had four bogeys and one par on the last 5 holes for a 41 on the front 9. I drove the ball down the middle of the fairway and hit about half the greens in regulation (Encanterra has some of the largest greens you have ever seen. I had to use my driver instead of my putter on one of the greens!). I had a lot of tap-in pars and no double-bogeys!

My SO downloaded the GolfLogix GPS software application onto my blackberry. It cost $40 for an annual subscription fee. When I got to the first hole, my blackberry showed the distance to the front and back of the hazards and to the front, middle and back of the green. It also allows you to keep track of your score, fairways hit, greens in regulation, putts, penalty strokes, etc. and it can track your club distances. I could read most of the information without putting on my reading glasses, which is helpful for those of us over 40 (OK, 50!). On the negative side, I was not able to get the club tracker to work (but I only tried it for one hole), it takes too long to update distances once you are at your ball and only measures to the front, middle and back of the green and not to the pin itself, and after four hours my blackberry ran out of juice because the application is running over the internet!

On No. 10, I hit my drive into the middle of the fairway and skulled a 9-iron over the green and made double-bogey. I made a great up-and-down for a tap-in par on the par-3 11 th hole. On the par-5 13th hole, I hit a long drive in the middle of the fairway and then topped my 1-hybrid into a deep bunker. I hit my third shot to about 80 yards and skulled a sand wedge over the green and made a snowman! On the par-4 17th hole, I hit my second shot to eight feet from the pin and had a brain freeze on the birdie putt and hit it 6 feet past the hole and missed the putt coming back for a bogey! I parred the par-5 18th hole for a 47 on the back nine and an 88 for the day! Although my score could have been a lot better I was very happy and I went home to take a hot shower and watch the Cardinals vs. Vikings on Sunday night football and the Suns vs. Lakers basketball game. The perfect Sunday!

No comments: